Tuesday 31 May 2011

Rosa Pietsch - Handmade jewellery and accessories

Before I leave you to drool over her work, I'd like to introduce Rosa Pietsch. You can find her work gracing the shelves of Handmade. Her newest collection is full of lovely geometric shapes, and bold, striking lines. Come into the shop to get some for yourself. VERY on trend for this season, and the next, and the next, and the next.


When did you start making things?

When I was little I was obsessed with drawing, painting and making things, then when I was about 15/16 I began making jewellery, really kitsch stuff like tape-measure brooches, and earrings made from toy shoes and guitar plectrums. I decided to start selling on eBay and had weekly auctions for quite a while. I also sold through social networking sites like Livejournal and Myspace. I’ve gone off on loads of different tangents since then, so have ended up with an extremely eclectic collection of pieces that I’ve made over the years!

How did you find out about Handmade?

I took part in a couple of the Handmade Brighton craft fairs, which I found out about online. I’d also taken part in some other local craft fairs but the Handmade one looked particularly creative and interesting. I wanted to take part in the shop as soon as it opened, but was working day and night on my degree (fashion design) so had to wait til after I’d graduated.


What do you find is the most inspiring thing in your life? (person, place, object, etc)

I know it’s really boring to say this, but it can be anything! I love pattern, shapes, lines, details and colours, rather than a particular ‘style’. So I often find inspiration in the details on parts of buildings, natural forms, surfaces...things like that! I love art deco patterns and I also love the detail in world crafts/artworks, for example Indian textiles and tribal patterns. I did a print design internship in Jaipur, India, which got me really into print and pattern.

What is the song you just can’t get out of your head right now?

Thanks to Spotify I’ve been listening to loads of bands I haven’t heard in years so lots of nostalgia! Loads of cheesy metal and 90s pop too. One song that’s been stuck in my head recently that’s actually by a new band is ‘I’ll Be Alright’ by a Brighton band called White Light.

Do you prefer to work alone or with others? Why?

I did love living and working with friends from my course while I was still studying my degree, and I enjoy having company and someone to chat to while I’m working. But particularly when I’m working on a new idea and I need to concentrate, I love being on my own and listening to really loud music while making things! I’d like to collaborate with people in the future though, could be fun…








What was the best meal you’ve eaten in the last week?

I attempted making some crispy spicy tofu and that went pretty well…also my friend cooked an amazing home made pizza the other day.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Unfortunately I haven’t won the lottery yet so I have to work in a pub to pay the bills! So really I’d say I do all my jewellery making/designing/researching in my spare time! Also love music and live gigs, watching films, and catching up with friends. How cheesy!


Thanks very much Rosa!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely write up! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The necklace looks cool!

    Jane
    http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot of great tips. I adore making handmade jewelry but don't always know how to get it out there. Thanks so much!
    Handmade Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mezuzah Cases
    I completely read your post. Really it's a Nice post!! I'll share with my friends...

    ReplyDelete