Monday 28 March 2011

Saffron Reichenbacker

Not only does Saffron make lovely things but she is also lovely herself. She helps out and volunteers her time at the shop. I just HAD to get her on the blog :)

Click here to visit her website and see some of her work below.


-when did you start making things?

Gosh, for as long as I can remember. My dad was an artist and my mum is incredibly creative, (although she would dispute it). It was always encouraged to make presents/cards for people rather than buy them. It became second nature to make things to keep myself occupied. As I reached my teens, I started to make intense little collage books and developed an interest in photography. I later went on to do a degree in Fine Art at Brighton University, becoming self employed as an artist/illustrator a few years after graduating. I sold prints for a couple of years but was hungry for more avenues. In 2007, my ‘Sailor Boy’ image was used by Nook Art for one of their tote bags. This spurred me on to invest in a professional badge maker. By far, the best purchase I’ve ever made! It opened up a world of making....badges, mirrors, magnets, even bottle openers!

-how did you find out about Handmade?


I did a few of the Handmade fairs at the Komedia, They were always filled with gorgeous things and great fun. When it became a shop I jumped at the chance to be involved. You can find me working in there most weeks.



-what do you find is the most inspiring thing in your life? (person, place, object, etc)


Wow there are just too many things! I’m obsessed with Weimar Berlin, Religious Iconography and early cinema but my all time inspiration is my grandmother. She’s an amazing woman who tells the most wonderful stories. She has always encouraged me to pursue my art and her house is absolutely filled with my creations.



-what is the song you just can't get out of your head right now?


Song in Blue by Les Paul & Mary Ford



-do you prefer to work alone or with others? Why?


I’ve always had pretty strong ideas of what I wanted to do creatively, so I prefer to work alone. That said, I’d be open to collaborations in the future!


-what was the best meal you've eaten in the last week?


Marmite Rice. Boyfriend speciality.



-what do you like to do in your spare time?


I spend pretty much all my time drawing, watching bizarre films, fussing cats and reading books on mad old silent film stars.



-is there a favourite piece of your work you would like to share?


‘Her Warm Embrace’ It’s piece about loss. Each little part of the picture has a personal meaning for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment